Golf’s greatest tournament is to tee off not long from now, and we ask the question we often do when a major comes up – Rod Pampling US Masters 2017 Champion, of course he can.
Whilst other news sources are talking Jason Day, Adam Scott, Marc Leishman and to a lesser extent Curtis Luck, not many are talking up the forgotten man of Australian Golf.
Most have forgotten his sizzling round of 60. Most have forgotten that he went on to win that tournament. That’s why he’s the forgotten man of Australian golf.
So forgotten, that very few will remember he actually came 5th in one of his few visits to Augusta National. All of which he played on the weekend. In fact, during that 5th placing there was zero footage of the man after one round, so that local broadcaster at the time Channel Nein had no footage to show of his work.
Sure saying Rod Pampling US Masters Champions is a long bow, as he hasn’t set the USPGA Tour on fire this season after a win earlier in the season, but he’s made some cuts and hasn’t been terrible. So we say he’s keeping that powder dry for a large tilt at the Green Jacket.
Whilst others can talk up the potential of the other Aussie golfer (and we say Marc Leishman will be best of Aussies other than Rod), we’ll spend our time talking up Rod Pampling. We’ve provided a few good excuses to get on the Pampling Bandwagon over the next four days.
REASON FOR ROD PAMPLING US MASTER CHAMPION
- He is playing the first round in just a group of two players. More time for shots.
- He has won a tournament already this season on the US PGA Tour. That’s why he’s here.
- Is ranked number 1 on the USPGA Tour for Scrambles from the rough – at 100%
- Is ranked 17th for Final Rounds scores, proving he is up for the challenge if close enough onDay 4.
- Ranked 2nd for approaches 100 yards-125yards and 8th for 50 yards to 125 yards.
- With tough conditions expected, the above ranking stats shows he can hold a round together.
- Was a former Pro and Caboolture and Caboolture is like Augusta.
- Has never missed a cut at the US Masters, and his performances aren’t too bad at all. 5th in 2005, T16 2006, T37 in 2007. Great form over his previous three years.
- Scored no less than a 60 at the Shriners Tournament on his way to a USPGA Tour win.
- We said so. And he is Rod Pampling – Australia’s forgotten golfer.
OTHER 2017 US MASTERS AUSTRALIAN GOLFER INFO
It can’t all be about Rod Pampling, so here are some token Australian golfers.
Courtesy of William Hill
Odds for the Aussies to Win, Top 5, Top 10, Top 25, Top Aussie
Jason Day $19, $4.75, $2.25, $1.60, $2.10
Adam Scott $31, $7.75, $3.50, $1.75, $2.60
Marc Leishman $51, $12.75, $5.00, $2.25, $5.00
Curtis Luck $301, $75, $12.00, $5.00, $21.00
Rod Pampling $501, $126, $26.00, $11.00, $26.00
AUSSIES TEE OFF TIMES
Below are the listed tee off times for the first round of the US Masters. Not that you’ll see them if the US coverage has any say. US time listed, work out the conversion yourself.
Adam Scott 9:28am
Jason Day 10:56am
Rod Pampling 11:07am
Curtis Luck 12:24pm
Marc Leishman 1:52pm