After all the hype, talk of Origin bolters, City v Country, and endless articles updating not much at all the first Origin is here. We’d also say we’re sick of the Channel 9 promos, but since Fox Sports televised all NRL this year we’ve become Fox Sports snobs, and as such don’t have to put up with them. In fact, we’ll be tuning in as late as possible to avoid as much of their coverage as possible. About 8:22 should do the trick.
So what is there to say that everywhere else, and far more professional places haven’t already said? Nothing. So why did we bother? Because you love it. Or have nothing better to do. Either way you’ve made it this far so why not continue on.
THE GOLDEN POINTS – the things we’re looking forward to
- After a season of slightly or massively underwhelming season for South Sydney it will be interesting to see if Greg Inglis thrives in the company of his fellow Queenslanders. Hopefully he does and continues for the Rabbitohs.
- The first hit up and tackle. Always the best indicator of the match ahead.
- What kind of scapegoat Adam Reynolds will be if he doesn’t success in the first Origin, joining a long line of temporary half options for the Blues. Thankfully that may open the door for Mitchell Pearce. For the record we say Reynolds shines and becomes NSW new permanent #7.
- David Klemmer, how he goes will go a long way to determine the winner. If he fires up it means NSW’s forward are going well, if he’s quiet then not good. Plus we just like an angry man. Just like Curtis Johnson for the Dolphins. Similar too but less angry is Michael “Good Times” Jennings who is seen on a sliding scale in games to the points gap to the Maroons.
- A standalone series from next year so the NRL doesn’t suck arse for two months.
TIME FOR A WAGER?
Betting makes any game more exciting, and the State of Origin has more options than just about any other single sporting event. But why just bet on Head to Head or first tryscorer, here’s a pile of more interesting bets for your consideration. Our selections are in bold.
Yes $24 No $1.01
BOTH TEAMS TO SCORE 20 POINTS
Yes $7.50 No $1.07
JOSH MORRIS TACKLES
Over 12.5 $1.87 Under 12.5 $1.87
SAM THAIDAY METRES GAIN
Over 72.5m $1.87 Under 72.5m $1.87
And our favourite bet because it can happen at any time…
Josh Morris $15
Matt Gillett $20
Odds courtesy of Sportsbet’s 226 betting options.
And how about some bets we’d like to be able to place? Here’s our GurglerBet 3000 markets.
TIME OF ACTUAL KICK OFF
Before 8pm – $1001
Before 8:10pm – $500
Before 8:20pm – $15
8:21pm – $5
8:22pm – $3
8:23pm – $1.50
8:24pm – $3
8:25pm – $5
After 8:25pm – $10
HOW MANY WOWS FROM GUS GOULD
Over 9.5 $1.87 Under 9.5 $1.87
HOW MANY TIMES COMMENTARY BOX MENTION GREG INGLIS IS FROM KEMPSEY, NSW
Over 3.5 $1.87 Under 3.5 $1.87
NUMBER OF CHANNEL 9 SHOW PROMOS DURING GAME – SPOKEN OR VISUAL
0 – $10
1-2 – $5
3-4 – $2
5 or more $1.50
Finally, here’s our favourite origin moment. Especially the commentary from Alan Thomas. Some of his very best. We all had the ball Wally. And why not search through our back catalogue of sport memorabilia featuring some of the finest Origin merch you money can buy.