Welcome to the new exciting era of the NRL – the Post Jarryd Hayne NFL era. As if the constant updates of no updates from his career at the 49ers wasn’t saturation enough, there’s now the prospect of up to 10 clubs fighting for his services. The mind does wonder how with the budgets so tight how so many clubs can think they can afford it, and if done legally where the bunch of discards will go? Before the Eastern Suburbs club pulled out of the Race for Hayne, cynics would have said Roosters were in pole position and claim they have far better accountants than the Eels, and would have provided a Channel 9 wet dream super team when SBW returns from another rugby stint. Maybe their denial is a way of throwing us off the scent. Hard to think of the other NRL clubs that really need him will interest him in going there.
It will provide an interesting sideline for the NRL as it spends it’s energy into the upcoming State of Origin series whilst neglecting the day to day NRL. But then there’s talk of Hayne playing Origin via the Newtown Jets. We’d be all for that being a fan of second tier rugby league.
See, we’ve even sucked ourselves into Hayne-talk. It’s hard not to. What is hard is tipping any winners, which we will endeavour to do below. We also provide a few pieces of our mind or things we’re looking forward to for each game.
THURSDAY – DRAGONS V SOUTHS
- Both of these sides won last weekend without necessarily being that much better or better at all than their opponents, but with the two points packed away, who cares how they are earned.
- The move of Greg Inglis to five eighth seems to have had some positive effect on Souths after an early season slumber, and a little more improvement should see off the Dragons, who will be without Benji Marshall again. The addition of Cody Walker to fullback is another step in the right direction. As much as Alex Johnston thinks he’s a fullback, he isn’t.
- The Dragons got home in golden point time last week against the Raiders in the dark of Kogarah, but with all the opportunities Canberra gave them through errors and penalities and some favourable calls, the 16 points they scored last week won’t be enough if Souths finally click. They haven’t scored more than 10 against Souths in the last 4 games.
GURGLER TIP – TOTAL SCORE UNDER 36.5
FRIDAY – COWBOYS v BRONCOS
- A premium clash for a Friday night and the second match between these two sides, and glad to get it out the way early so it is not affected by the Origin rounds and the very best players are available.
- The Cowboys have much better luck against Brisbane away from Suncorp Stadium with 4 of the last 5 clashes going to the Cowboys including the big GF from last year.
- Another interesting battle will come up after this weekend’s fixtures with how many players each side will provide to the Origin team.
GURGLER TIP – COWBOYS to win.
SATURDAY – WESTS TIGERS v NEWCASTLE
- Not a clash for many to get excited about.
- Surely Newcastle can’t go any worse, nor could our tip last week of Knights +16.5 start.
- Newcastle have beaten the Tigers 4 of their 5, but surely not with a side going as poorly as the current Newcastle side.
GURGLER TIP – NEWCASTLE +8.5 start
SATURDAY – NZ WARRIORS v CANBERRA
- The clash is in New Plymouth for a change of scenery from Auckland.
- NZ need to start winning regularly soon otherwise another year goes by with unfulfilled potential.
- Canberra look good in patches and are in the race for best of the rest title i.e. 5th. Although you just never know with Ricky at the helm.
GURGLER TIP – OVER 39.5 points scored.
SATURDAY – SHARKS v MANLY
- Surely a missed opportunity for Channel 9 with two Sydney teams at their second favourite location – Shark Park. But you can’t have it all when there’s three all Sydney clashes on offer and a GF rematch.
- Sharks win at Newcastle following the Broncos win put an underline on being genuine NRL premiership contenders.
- Despite the financial bonus for moving a game to Suncorp, it still seems strange to play a home game at a ground that a good majority of the ground hates you.
GURGLER TIP – SHARKS to win
SUNDAY – PENRITH v GOLD COAST
- Gold Coast surprised most on Monday night, a few in the know aside. They are currently winning the battle over the last team standing on the Gold Coast with talk of trouble at the Suns.
- Penrith have a good record against Queensland sides at home, beating Brisbane and should have beaten Cowboys.
GURGLER TIP – PENRITH to win
SUNDAY – BULLDOGS v ROOSTERS
- Sunday afternoon of course. Irresistible combination of all Sydney and Olympic Stadium.
- Both sides inconsistent, the Bulldogs have played just that little bit better. Both are hard to trust for the win
- Pearce with one last chance to win the series for Queensland.
GURGLER TIPS – BULLDOGS to win
MONDAY – PARRARADRA v MELBOURNE
- If Parramatta lose this, will the wheels fall off after their Salary Cap cuts.
- Semi Radradra
GURGLER TIPS – SEMI RADRADRA to score
GURGLER SUPER MULTI |
TOTAL SCORE UNDER 36.5 – Dragons/Souths
COWBOYS to win.
NEWCASTLE +8.5 start
OVER 39.5 points scored.- NZ v Canb
SHARKS to win
PENRITH to win
BULLDOGS to win
SEMI RADRADRA to score
$1 for $41