Welcome to the new look Own Goal column. Each week we’ll attempt to bring you enough news, stats and figures to capture your imagination for a few seconds.
Here we share the love between all four tiers of English Football, the greatest football system anywhere in the world. Occasionally we involve teams lower down too, and especially when it involves our favourite – The FA Cup.
So enjoy our thoughts, stats and best bets which are the best that money can’t buy.
- EPL and Championship join their lower tier buddies back in action this week after another international break. Clubs will be counting the cost of injuries sustained for their countries.
- The EPL race could be halfway over this weekend if Chelsea beat WBA as expected and Manchester City fail to beat Swansea. The next most likely Manchester Utd and Arsenal play each other for the battle with Southampton as best of the rest.
- The Championship welcomes Malky Mackay to Wigan as new manager despite the controversy over racist, and everthingist text messages that were made public. Not to be forgotten about in that department, the chairman of Wigan dropped a little Jewish gear to remind everyone that Malky is not the only one who can court controversy.
- On the pitch 4 of the top 5 play each other in a weekend that could see a little gap open up to the chasing pack.
- Controversy in League one as Sheffield United bow to public pressure and not allow Ched Evans to play. The convicted rapist will most likely struggle to find a home after some very public backlash to him training with The Blades, which will no doubt act as a deterrent to most clubs.
- Footballing superstar Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank makes his home debut as Burton manager against no less a side than top of the league Luton Town.
LEAGUE ONE TABLE
LEAGUE TWO TABLE
– EPL – ARSENAL V MANCHESTER UNITED
Past masters clash trying to underwhelm their fans more.
– EPL – ASTON VILLA V SOUTHAMPTON
Terrible form v Terrific form = upset
– CH – WATFORD V DERBY
One of the top of the tree games on offer this weekend
– CH – BOURNEMOUTH V IPSWICH
The other one
– CH – CHARLTON V MILLWALL
Local London derby
– L1 – BRISTOL CITY V PRESTON
Another Top of the Table clash. Prev unbeaten Bristol rebound or fall?
– L1 – SHEFFIELD UNITED V OLDHAM
Two in form teams clash to push promotion claims.
– L2 – BURTON V LUTON
Hasselbank debuts, Luton flying (pardon the pun)
Here’s the rest of the upcoming fixtures.
EPL UPCOMING FIXTURES
LEAGUE ONE FIXTURES
LEAGUE TWO FIXTURES
So it’s all come to this, our best selections and tips for you to turn into many dollar, pound, euro or rupee. Please accept our best bets.
If you were lucky enough to read this last week, we finally gave you a winner in League Two. Bet early – bet often.
[table caption=”EPL MULTI – $1 pays $26″ width=”500″ colwidth=”100|100″ colalign=”left|left”]
SPURS to win, v Hull City
DRAW, Arsenal v Man Utd
NEWCASTLE to win, v QPR
CHELSEA to win, v WBA
STOKE to win, v Burnley
[table caption=”CHAMPIONSHIP MULTI – $1 pays $625″ width=”500″ colwidth=”100|100″ colalign=”left|left”]
WIGAN to win, v Middlesbrough
DRAW, Charlton v Millwall
LEEDS to win, v Blackburn
BIRMINGHAM to win, v Rotherham
IPSWICH to win, v Bournemouth
[table caption=”L1 MULTI – $1 pays $56″ width=”500″ colwidth=”100|100″ colalign=”left|left”]
NOTTS COUNTY to win, v Yeovil
OVER 2.5 GOALS, MK Dons v Port Vale
DRAW, Sheffield Utd v Oldham
LEYTON ORIENT to win, v Crewe
SWINDON to win, v Peterborough
[table caption=”L2 MULTI – $1 pays $90″ width=”500″ colwidth=”100|100″ colalign=”left|left”]
PORTSMOUTH to win, v Morecambe
TRANMERE to win, v Southend
NORTHAMPTON to win, v Stevenage
BURTON to win, v Luton
DRAW, Hartlepool v York
[table caption=”EPL Recent Form” width=”500″ colwidth=”80|100|50″ colalign=”left|left|center”]
Streak,Team,Games or points
Without Win,Aston Villa,7
Best Home Record,Southampton,16pts (6)
Worst Home Record,Aston Villa,4pts (5)
Best Away Record,Chelsea,14pts (6)
Worst Away Record,QPR,0pts (5)
[table caption=”Championship Recent Form” width=”500″ colwidth=”80|100|50″ colalign=”left|left|center”]
Without Win,Sheffield Wednesday,9
Best Home Record,Ipswich,20pts (9)
Worst Home Record,Blackpool,4pts (8)
Best Away Record,Middlesboro,16pts (8)
Worst Away Record,Bolton,3pts (8)
Most Draws,Charlton/Shef Wed,9
[table caption=”L1 Recent Form” width=”500″ colwidth=”80|100|50″ colalign=”left|left|center”]
Wins,Port Vale, 3
Best Home Record,Bristol,20pts (8)
Worst Home Record,Leyton Orient,3pts (8)
Best Away Record,Notts Co, 18pts (8)
Worst Away Record,Gillingham 2pts (8)
[table caption=”L2 Recent Form” width=”500″ colwidth=”80|100|50″ colalign=”left|left|center”]
Best Home Record,Shrewsbury,25pts (9)
Worst Home Record,Hartlepool,6pts (8)
Best Away Record,Wycombe 17pts (8)
Worst Away Record,Carlisle, 4pts (8)
These stats and so many more courtesy of a much better website – www.whoscored.com